What is a birth certificate?
This document recognizes a person as a member of the Colombian state, giving them duties, rights and consigning in it their legal situation in the family and society.
- Certificate of live birth, issued by the doctor or the hospital. If it is a minor who belongs to an indigenous community, the indigenous authorization will suffice.
- Identity document of the registrant parents.
- If you do not have the certificate of live birth, it will be necessary to have the baptismal record or an affidavit from two witnesses.
- The minor’s blood type.
How much does the birth registration cost?
This process has no cost.
Do surnames have a specific order they must follow?
Not anymore, thanks to Law 2129 of 2021, the order of the surnames must be specified by mutual agreement by the parents at the time of registration in the Civil Registry of Birth.
If an agreement is not reached regarding the order of the surnames, the law says:
- The official in charge of registering the birth in the civil registry will resolve this situation by drawing lots, in accordance with the procedure established for this purpose by the National Registry of Civil Status.
- In the absence of recognition by one of the parents, the surnames of the father or mother requesting registration in the Civil Registry of Birth will be assigned.
- In the case of children with paternity or maternity declared by judicial decision, if there is no agreement, the last name of the father or mother who first recognized them as a child will be registered first, followed by the last name of the father or mother who would have been defeated in court proceedings.
Can a foreigner have a Colombian birth certificate?
No, even if the foreign person has acquired Colombian nationality, it is not possible to register their birth in the national territory or obtain a civil registry.
What happens if I do not have the certificate of live birth?
The mother or father of the minor must go to the notary with the baby, in addition to the other documentation, according to Decree 1260 in article 45, it is stipulated that, in case of not having the certificate of live birth, a declaration will be necessary under oath of 2 witnesses, who have witnessed the birth or have knowledge of it.
What can an adult person who has never been registered do?
You must present yourself to the notary with the following documents:
- Photocopy of the National ID Card.
- Copy of the baptismal record, authenticated by the diocese or a sworn statement from two witnesses who have witnessed the birth or have knowledge of it.
Who can request a birth certificate?
- The father or the mother.
- The closest relatives.
- The director of the hospital establishment where the birth occurred.
- The director of the establishment in charge of the minor, if applicable.
- The same person, if he/she is already of legal age.
Let us know how we can help you.
Carry out your procedures online or, if you prefer, carry out your notarial procedures directly at the Fifth Notary of Manizales.
Confidence in yourself is the first secret to success. The second is to arm yourself with transparent allies who take care of you and document the most important steps in your life.
At the Fifth Notary we are trustworthy!