How does inheritance/succession of an estate work?
After the death of a family member, this procedure allows the assets of the deceased to be distributed along with their rights and obligations. This can be done before the notary by mutual agreement between those involved, who in the event that the account exceeds 40 current legal minimum wages, must be represented by a lawyer.
- Authentic copy of the death certificate of the deceased.
- Authentic copy of the birth certificates and photocopies of their national ID cards.
- Authentic copy of the Marriage certificate.
- Deeds or titles of acquisition of the assets left by the deceased.
- Tax receipts and/or property certificates, if applicable.
- Proof of the credit invoked if he or one of the applicants were a creditor of the deceased.
- Power of attorney conferred on the lawyer, by each of the heirs.
- Request for inventory and appraisal of assets.
- Partition and adjudication work.
- Photocopy of the national ID card and professional card of the lawyer.
- Certificate of freedom and tradition.
- If the deceased granted a will, a copy of it must be submitted with its respective validity note issued by the public instrument registry office.
Is the presence of a lawyer necessary for an inheritance?
The presence of a lawyer is not necessary if the assets in the inheritance do not exceed 40 current minimum wages.
Who can inherit?
In Colombia there are hereditary orders that are in charge of establishing who the heirs are, taking into account the degree of relationship and consanguinity as follows:
- First order: children.
- Second order: the ancestors of the deceased (parents) and the spouse or permanent partner.
- Third order: the siblings of the deceased and the spouse or permanent partner.
- Fourth order: nephews, spouse or permanent partner.
- Fifth order: the I.C.B.F.
Let us know how we can help you.
Carry out your procedures online or, if you prefer, carry out your notarial procedures directly at the Fifth Notary of Manizales.
Confidence in yourself is the first secret to success. The second is to arm yourself with transparent allies who take care of you and document the most important steps in your life.
At the Fifth Notary we are trustworthy!